Each of us occasionally finds ourselves in a stressful situation. However, sometimes stress accompanies a person constantly. It has a negative impact on mental and physical health, as well as behavior. What is stress exactly? What are its effects? How to get rid of stress? Read on!
WHAT IS STRESS?
If you want to start thinking about how to reduce the level of stress, you must first understand what stress is. Understanding can lead to a better and more effective fight to regain inner balance and peace.
Stress is a reaction to various events in a person’s life – although it does not only concern humans. It can motivate you and even save your life – it can make you make an enormous effort that a person in a normal state would not be able to handle.
However, stress also has negative effects. In this perspective, stress focuses on your worries, problems, and other negative experiences.
EFFECTS OF STRESS
The effects of stress affect the physical and mental health of a person as well as their behavior. At first, they may be imperceptible, but over time, they increasingly influence a person’s life, and can even seriously impede or prevent normal functioning.
Stress can also effectively hinder human development and paralyze decision-making or finding new ways of self-expression, training, and in many other situations. Everything is very serious because it has a very bad impact on the human brain. However, these are not the only consequences of stress. Other problems that stress can cause include:
- Heart disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Skin problems
- Hair problems
- Stomach ulcers
- Eating disorders
- Other mental disorders
- Digestive problems
- Fertility problems
- Chronic fatigue
- Abdominal pain
- Faster heart rate
- More frequent outbursts of anger
In the case of stress, it is not enough to just treat the symptoms, it is very important to reduce the level of stress in the body. Therefore, everyone should find their own ways to get rid of stress. Those that will be healthy and will not harm anyone – neither the person nor their surroundings. You can relax in various ways – everyone is different and something else will relieve them. However, if you know how to get rid of stress and previous methods no longer work, you need to find something new. Living in constant stress is not good for you, so you must fight against it.
HOW TO DEAL WITH STRESS?
You need to find your own methods for dealing with stress. Stress should not be underestimated, even if you do not yet feel its serious consequences. If nothing changes, the problem will continue to worsen and affect your health. How to get rid of stress?
- Drink herbal teas – this is a natural way to deal with accumulated stress in the body. Humanity has known and used these methods for positive effects on the body for centuries. Lavender, lemon balm, and valerian work perfectly.
- Pay attention to your diet – what you eat has a huge impact on your well-being. You may find that you lack the right nutrients in your diet, which affects your reaction in various situations. Magnesium is particularly important – if you are deficient, you are much more exposed to stress. Potassium is also an important component – if it is lacking, you may experience the effects of stress much more acutely. You can take dietary supplements, but it is best to enrich your diet with the right ingredients – nuts, dark chocolate, cocoa, bananas, tomatoes, or soy.
- Aromatherapy is a great way to reduce stress. You can light scented candles, add aromatic bath oils, use them for massage, or simply light aromatic incense sticks.
- Pay attention to the quality of your sleep – sleep for at least seven to eight hours a day. Ventilate the bedroom properly before going to sleep. Also, try to change your evening habits. Calm your mind, put away your phone, turn off the TV. Instead, do something relaxing – go for a walk, read a book, take a hot bath, listen to relaxing music – anything that will allow your mind to rest.
If you cannot cope with stress, feel that there is too much on you, and the ways to deal with stress that worked before are no longer effective – seek professional help. The sooner you do it, the sooner you can increase your comfort level in life.
If you constantly worry about what will happen and it prevents you from reducing stress, try to prepare for it. Make an action plan, prepare what you need to do for the next day.
You can visit a psychologist or go for psychotherapy – problems with stress, how you react to certain situations, are a matter of your mind. During psychotherapy, you will learn to reduce stress in a healthy and proper way. Various relaxation techniques are used during psychotherapy, which you will be able to successfully apply in your life in the future.